This guide provides instructions to install and on-board Edge Virtual on the Proxmox 8 Hypervisor.
Note: Edge Virtual is available in a Limited Release at this time. Throughput may vary based upon Host OS, Hypervisor, and Networking configurations. Please consult with your team at Big Network for scaled deployments.
- A working installation of Proxmox 8.
- Available Edge Virtual Licenses.
- Edge Virtual ISO Installer available from download (please contact Big Network for assistance in obtaining the image)
- Capacity to host a VM with 4x CPUs, 8GB RAM, and 20G available disk space.
- Assume 1x WAN Port and 1x LAN Port for Networking using the VirtIO NIC driver.
Step 1: Prepare Proxmox 8 Networking
The Edge Virtual image expects 1x WAN port and 1x LAN port to be configured for Proxmox networking.
The first NIC specified will be used for WAN connectivity.
The second NIC specified will be used for LAN connectivity.
Step 2: Upload Installer ISO to ISO Image Storage
Use Proxmox's built in file management tools to upload Edge Virtual's ISO to the ISO data storage.
Step 3: Prepare the Virtual Machine
Create a new virtual machine with a name of your choice, using the following parameters:
- General: System Name; Start at Boot
- OS: Use CD/DVD images from ISO Image Storage
- System: Default
- Disk: Use SATA; 20GB Storage; Thin Provisioned OK
- CPU: 4x Cores; Type is Host
- Memory: 8192MB
- Network: Add WAN Port
Once confirmed; edit the machine to add the LAN Port.
Note: You must ensure proper PCI device addresses are in use. This requires default Proxmox 8 Machine Settings.
Step 4: Boot and Install Edge OS
This will boot your virtual machine via the installation media. Connect to the device via VGA Console:
- Confirm that you wish to proceed is OS installation. The underlying media will be overwritten.
- Select the "prod" environment.
- Select the "Proxmox 8" as the device model.
Allow the installation to complete and Edge Virtual to reboot.
Step 5: Obtain Device ID, PIN, and On-Board Edge Virtual
- Once Edge Virtual reboots, the device will expect a WAN IP to be provided via DHCP.
- The console will display Device ID and PIN. Note those details down.
- Navigate to https://portal.bignetwork.com -> Edge Devices -> Add Device to begin device on-boarding using the Device ID and PIN.
- Once on-boarded, you will have a 2x Port Edge Virtual device available for use.
Step 6: Verify Connectivity from Host OS
Edge Virtual is now online.
Configure Edge Virtual for your use case as required. Adjust Proxmox network configuration as required.